Saturday 3 November 2018

Walk On By

She sat slumped
in a jumbled heap of clothes,
in cold late evening air
on city pavement edge.

Elated and joyful,
I walked past with my son
at my side.
I glanced at her
for a single second,
my heart hardened by countless
beggars already encountered,
waving paper cups for loose change.

She didn't ask me for anything,
just looking straight ahead.
I didn't want to look for longer.

How could I respond to so much need
on city streets?
I had no home there to take her to.
I had no significant money to give.

If I gave anything,
would it feed an addiction?

Her image burned into my mind,
as I choose in that second
not to respond at all.

I was not the Good Samaritan,
or even a slightly open hearted one.
I failed in my humanity.
I judge myself to have fallen short
of Christ's call,
but I don't judge her.

God spoke to me
through her silent form.
How do I truly show His love,
and not just walk on by?

No comments: