Saturday 23 December 2017

Rest

And the Lord said to me,
"You do not know how to rest
and I would show you,
but you do not stop
long enough
to hear my softly spoken words.

The information flood tides
in your mind
whirl about and cannot settle,
even in your sleep.
You've troubled dreams,
and your spirit
has lost the art
of being still.

I would quieten you
with my love,
but you restlessly roam.
Receive from me,
and cease your elsewhere seeking.

I would show you
how to rest,
and not just through exhaustion.
To live in rest
and daily walk it out.

I would show you
how to be filled with peace,
so that no anxiety concerning
future uncertainties,
unlikely to occur,
can rob you of it.

I would show you how to be
and not to do,
for doing has its time and place,
but not in every waking moment.

I would show you many things,"
says the Lord,
"If you would let me."

No comments: