Saturday 30 December 2017

Year's End

What have I done
with this year,
stuffed with opportunities
and potential fulfillment?

Have I picked at it
like a plateful of food,
pushed around by
someone with no appetite?

Have I dived in
regardless of cost
or consequence,
and come away
bruised and a little disappointed?

Have I overextended myself,
so I cannot possibly
spin another plate,
and only stopped
to crash and burn?

Have I thrown caution
to wherever its meant to go,
and reveled in
new and exciting
experiences?

Have I learnt
to live a measured pace
of balance and watchfulness,
minding myself and others
carefully?

At the year's beginning,
I decided to take up painting.
It's the year's end,
and all I managed
was to paint a bedroom wall.

It's a blessing
a new year awaits,
with the possibility
to try once more.


No comments: